Originally under Yuan Shao, defected to Wei. Died battling Zhuge Liang.
Birthplace: Mao county, Hejian commandery
(Presently Ren Qiu in He Bei Province)
Other Names: Zhang Yue
Name Notes: Apparently, Zhang He is misspelled ‘Zhang Yue’ in Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI.
Rank and Titles
Major; Colonel; General of the Gentleman of the Household; Lieutenant General, Marquis of a Chief Commune; General Who Pacifies Tribes; General Who Agitates Bandits; General of the Left, Marquis of a Chief District; Marquis of Feng Mo; General of the Cavalry and Chariots Who Conquers the West; Marquis Zhuang (posthumous)
Groups and Associations
Family and Relationships
Zhang Xiong (Son)
Fact vs. Fiction
Differences Between Fact and Common Fiction
- After his defeat by Zhang Fei in the novel, Cao Hong’s reaction suggests that Zhang He was humiliated. Historically, because he captured two commanderies in the same campaign, Zhang He was promoted after his defeat at the hands of Zhang Fei. Cao Hong was not involved.
- In the novel, Sima Yi comes up with the plan to surround Ma Su. In history, it was Zhang He’s idea.
- In the novel, Zhang He suggests that he pursue Wei Yan, which Sima Yi argues against. Historically, Sima Yi suggested that Zhang He pursue Zhuge Liang’s army, and Zhang He argued against it. Wei Yan was not involved.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms: 22, 30, 31, 40–42, 48, 50, 56, 58, 67, 69–71, 81, 86, 94–99, 101
- Zhang He Equal of Zhang Liao and Xu Haung?
- Zhang He
- Zhang He: Underrated by Yuan Shao?
- Kongming’s 4th Campaign: Wang Ping; Zhang He and Sima Yi
- Zhang He…