One of Cao Cao’s original officers, with civil and military talent. Lost an eye in battle.
Wade-Giles: Hsiahou Tun (Yüan-jang)
Simplified Chinese: 夏侯惇 (元让)
Pronunciation: Xia4hou2 Dun1 (Yuan2rang4)
Cantonese (Yale): Hahau Deun (Yun-yeung)
Cantonese (Jyutpin): Haahau Deon (Jyun-joeng)
Min-Nan: Heehouw Tun (Goan-jiang)
Birthplace: Qiao County in Pei Prefecture
Rank and Titles
General Who Displays Firmness; Zhechong Xiaowei, Governor of Dong Prefecture; Governor of Chenliu; Governor of Jiyin; Jianwu Jiangjun; Duke of Gao An Xiang; Governor of He’nan; Fubo Jiangjun; General of the Van (AD 219); ‘Great General’; ‘Loyal Duke’ (posthumous)
Family and Relationships
Fact vs. Fiction
Differences Between Fact and Common Fiction
- Xiahou Dun did not kill Cao Xing for shooting out his eye, nor did he consume it.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms: 5, 6, 10–12, 14, 16–19, 23–28, 30, 31, 33, 39–43, 48, 50, 66, 67, 69–72, 78, 79, 91
Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Chapter 18
“Essence of my father, blood of my mother, I cannot throw this away!”
- Xiahou Dun: Incompetent or Competent?
- A Question About Xiahou Dun
- How Did Xiahou Dun Die?
- Xiahou Dun’s Eye: Could He Have Fought After Losing It?
- Xiahou Dun’s Eye: Did He Really Eat It?
- Who Do You Like Better: Xiahou Dun or Xiahou Yuan?