Sworn brother of Liu Bei and Zhang Fei. First of the Five Tiger Generals.
Birthplace: Xie County, He Dong
(Presently Yun Cheng in Shan Xi Province)
Other Names: Guan Gong, Lord Guan, Changsheng
Name Notes: Originally styled Changsheng (長生). He is frequently referenced by the honorary title, Guan Gong (關公), or ‘Lord Guan’. Guan Yu appears as Guan Gong or Lord Guan in most novel translations, many historic texts, and modern conversation outside the Three Kingdoms community, and on most merchandise. In religion he is called Saintly Emperor Guan (關聖帝君) or in Buddhism, Sangharama Bodhisattva (伽藍菩薩) (more).
Rank and Titles
Major; Lieutenant General (AD 200); Marquis of Hanshou (AD 200); Governor of Xiangyang; General Who Terrifies Criminals; General of the Front (AD 219); Marquis of Zhuangchou (posthumous); One of the ‘Five Tiger Generals’
Groups and Associations
Family and Relationships
Guan Ping ƒ, Guan Xing, Guan Suo ƒ (Sons); Guan Ping ƒ (Adopted Son); Lady Guan [Yinping] ƒ (Daughter); Guan Tong (Grandchildren); Guan Yi (Great Grandchildren); Liu Bei ƒ, Zhang Fei ƒ (Sworn Brothers); Red Hare [Chituma] ƒ (Horse)
Fact vs. Fiction
Differences Between Fact and Common Fiction
- The Peach Tree Garden oath did not actually take place but Sanguozhi states that Liu, Guan and Zhang ‘slept in the same bed and were as close as brothers.’
- Did not kill Hua Xiong. Hua Xiong was killed in battle with Sun Jian by Jian’s troops.
- Did not give specific terms of surrender to Cao Cao at Xiapi.
- Never killed Wen Chou, who actually died in battle with Cao Cao after falling for a plot.
- Guan Yu did not ‘traverse five passes’ and ‘slay five generals’. Cao Cao admired his honor and sense of duty, and allowed him to leave. In majority, the characters that appeared in this novel event were fictional.
- Did not ‘fight with and release’ Huang Zhong. Han Xuan and Huang Zhong surrendered of their own accord.
- In the events following Chibi, Guan Yu did not meet with and spare Cao Cao at Huarong.
- Was not healed by Hua Tuo, though the story did take place at the hands of an unnamed doctor.
- Did not plan to duel Ma Chao when he was promoted. Simply sent a letter asking how they compared.
- When poisoned during the Battle of Fan, Guan Yu was not treated by Hua Tuo. Rather, he was treated by an unnamed physician. Also, rather than play chess with Ma Liang, he hosted a banquet while being operated on.
- In the novel Lü Meng feigned illness to trick Guan Yu. Historically, Lü Meng was truly ill.
- The flooding of Fan Castle was not Guan Yu’s stratagem. It was a natural occurrence.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms: 1, 2, 5–7, 11–22, 24–28, 31, 34–43, 45, 49–53, 55, 56, 60, 63, 65–67, 70, 73–76, 77, 78–83, 85, 94, 97, 110, 120
Sanguozhi: Shu 6
Zizhi tongjian: 60, 63, 65-68
Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Chapter 25
Speaking to Cao Cao about Yuan Shao’s army, Guan Yu said, “I regard them as so many clay fowls and mud dogs.”
Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Chapter 73
Speaking to Zhuge Jin of Sun Quan, Guan Yu said, “How can my tiger-lass marry a dog’s whelp of a son? Were it not for your brother, I would take your head. Say no more!”
Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Chapter 77
Having possessed Lü Meng, to Sun Quan, Guan Yu said, “O green-eyed boy! O purple-bearded rat! Do you know me?”
- Did Guan Yu Ever Do Anything Noteworthy?
- Guan Yu Versus Yan Liang in Bricks!
- If Guan Yu Was Made a God, Who else Could Be One?
- Does Guan Yu Deserve the Amount of Fame That He is Given?
- Did Guan Yu Let The Power Go To His Head?
- Guan Yus Arrogance
- Zhang Fei >>>>>> Guan Yu
- The Unexpected Side Effect of Konming’s Letter to Yunchang
- Guan Yu and Zhang Fei!!!
- The Slaugther of Guan Yu’s Family
- Zhuge Liang’s Relationship With Guan Yu
- Guan Yu..your Opinion on Him
- View ≈35 Additional Results?
- Was Guan Yu Really Afraid of Gan Ning?
- Did Cao Cao Let Guan Yu Leave Because of His Kindness?
- Who Was with Guan Yu in Jing Zhou?
- What Would Have Happened if Guan Yu Stayed with Wei?
- Lu Bu or Guan Yu?
- Guan Yu’s Death a Planned Excuse for Liu Bei to Attack Wu?
- Was Guan Yu Really Impatient?
- Guan Yu’s Second Name
- Rediscovering Guan Yu
- Without Guan Yu’s Help, Cao Cao Vs. Yuan Shao
- Zhao Yun, Equal of Guan Yu and Zhang Fei?
- Why Was Guan Yu Respected?
- Was It Wrong of Sun Quan to Execute Guan Yu?
- Guan Yu’s Jealousness
- Should Guan Yu Have Been Entrusted with Jing? (SGYY or SGZ)
- Why Was Guan Yu Feared (history Only No Novel or Folk Tales)
- Guan Yu’s Surgery: Believable?
- Guan Yu’s Sons.. Who is Most Dutiful?
- If Guan Yu Would Have Taken Cao Cao Prisoner
- Were Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei Suitable to Become Gods?
- Pang De, Yu Jin and Guan Yu.
- Guan Yu, Zhang Liao and Xu Huang
- Guan Yu: Good or Bad
- If Guan Yu Didn’t Aid Liu Bei, Would He Have Succeeded?
- If Guan Yu Had Killed Cao Cao
- Guan Yu and Chibi (Red Cliff)
- Would Guan Yu Have Won at Fan?
- Guan Yu’s Weapon
- Guan Yu With Wei
- Friendly Discussion About Guan Yu
- If Guan Yu Had Not Died
- Kuan Kung, the God of Wealth, or Kuan Yü, the God of War?
- Guan Yu
- Guan Yu’s Children
- Guan Yu New Bio